Among other, the following functions must be highlighted (according to article 44.2 of Act 10/2010, of 28 April):
- Management and promotion of activities for the prevention of the use of the financial system or of other economic sectors for money laundering, as well as for the prevention of administrative infringements to the legal provisions on economic transactions with other countries.
- Cooperation with the law enforcement agencies, coordinating the investigation and prevention activities carried out by the other organs of the Public Administrations with competence in the matters referred to in the preceding subparagraph.
- Ensuring the most effective possible assistance in these matters to the judicial organs, the Public Prosecutor's Office and the criminal police.
- Appointment of the Director of the Executive Service, Approval of its annual budget, its organisational structure and operational guidelines.
- Approval of the Annual Inspection Plan for obliged persons, which shall be privileged.
- Approval of guidance and guidelines for action for obliged persons.
- Submission to the Minister of Economy and Finance proposals for sanctions whose imposition is the responsibility of the Minister or of the Council of Ministers.